This post was written earlier this afternoon, but whatever the election results might be, let’s all just step back and take a deep breath. In the grand scheme of things, regardless of how many seats the Republicans have won back, not much has changed. No need for the sleeping pills or the razor blades just yet:
1) We still have a neocon in the White House who is not going to push for our agenda.
2) We still have a two-party system that is controlled by wealthy corporate interests no matter which party has the majority.
3) We still a crap economy and a growing gap between rich and poor which neither party will do much about.
4) We still have serious energy and climate issues which neither party will do much about.
5) We still have a media system which feeds on partisan controversy and simiplistic dichotomites instead of ways we can solve our common problems.
6) We still have a public which blames all of it problems on political opponents or on the government as a whole, but which is unwilling to work or sacrifice to be part of solutions.
In what other ways are things the same tonight regardless of the election outcome? What’s on your mind tonight?