Tonight’s musical selection is XNY performing “Jaw” from their album Orange. Thanks @media_thehorn for the suggestion.
“The real journalists searched for the truth, that was our holy grail.” -Helen Thomas
You should hear this 2011 conversation between Tavis Smiley, Cornel West and the late White House reporter Helen Thomas:
And check out these beautiful photos of Texas in the 1970s, which have an interesting origin:
Today we visit the state of Texas, where photographers captured images of industrialized waterfronts, small town daily life, impoverished neighborhoods, ranch workers, fun at the beach, and more. The Documerica Project was put together by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1971, with a primary goal of documenting adverse effects of modern life on the environment, but photographers were also encouraged to record the daily life of ordinary people, capturing a broad snapshot of America.
The complete five part series from the Atlantic makes a lovely tour of the time and its environment.
- Please review our About Us page if you need a refresher on site rules, and
- We encourage you to use our flag system — if you see an abusive comment, user or post, please flag it rather than replying. We review every flag and take the best action available to us.
- If you have questions or concerns about Firedoglake-specific issues, please limit their discussion to Watercooler posts rather than starting new posts or making off-topic comments in others. But remember,
- Firedoglake editors and staff are not allowed to comment on any moderation decisions.
- You can link back to your blog, but please cross post entire articles and not just excerpts (Note: this has recently been added to the MyFDL rules, please review them if you haven’t recently).