8 July 2013 Last updated at 08:56 GMT
Egypt unrest: Morsi supporters shot dead in Cairo
At least 40 people have been killed in a shooting incident in Cairo, say officials and the Muslim Brotherhood, amid continuing unrest over the removal of President Mohammed Morsi.
The Brotherhood says its members were fired on while they were holding a sit-in at a Presidential Guard barrack.
But the army said a “terrorist group” had tried to storm the barracks.
Mr Morsi, an Islamist and Egypt’s first freely elected president, was ousted by the army last week after mass protests.
Scores of people have been killed since the unrest began last weekend.
Mr Morsi is believed to be held at the Presidential Guard Club, in the eastern Nasr City district of the capital.
Obama urged to halt Ramadan force-feeding at Guantánamo
Islamic leaders call on administration to rethink policy towards hunger-striking detainees during religious fast
Greece optimistic about next bailout tranche ahead of eurozone talks
Greek officials have expressed confidence that a deal to unlock billions of euros in financial aid is about to be reached. However, there are still doubts about whether EU ministers will approve the release of the funds.
Greece is hoping that eurozone finance ministers meeting in Brussels on Monday will approve the release of 8.1 billion euros ($10.4 billion) to Athens.
Following a week of talks in the Greek capital, which wrapped up on Sunday, officials from both sides said they believed they were close to deal.
Kabul confirms interpreter arrested over torture claims
July 8, 2013 – 12:24PM
Moz army attacks former Renamo rebel camp
Mozambique’s armed forces have attacked a camp of former rebels in the country’s centre where “bandits” terrorised civilians on the road last month.
Syria rebels in weak position, says SNC chief
Ahmad Jarba says Saudi arms will arrive soon, and rules out talks with regime before balance of power changes.
Last Modified: 08 Jul 2013 01:03
The new president of the opposition Syrian National Coalition has described the rebels’ military position as weak – but vowed the situation would improve with weapons shipments from Saudi Arabia arriving soon.
In an interview on Sunday, Ahmad Jarba told the Reuters news agency that the opposition would not consider attending a proposed US and Russian-sponsored peace conference in Geneva until its position strengthens.
“Geneva in these circumstances is not possible. If we are going to go to Geneva we have to be strong on the ground, unlike the situation now, which is weak,” he said. “We cannot go to Geneva unless we are strong.”