Killing in Cairo: the full story of the Republican Guards’ club shootings

In the early hours of 8 July 2013, 51 Muslim Brotherhood supporters camped outside the Republican Guards’ club in Cairo were killed by security forces. The Egyptian military claimed the demonstrators had attempted to break into the building with the aid of armed motorcyclists.

After examining video evidence and interviewing eyewitnesses, medics and demonstrators Patrick Kingsley finds a different story – a coordinated assault on largely peaceful civilians. ‘If they’d just wanted to break the sit-in, they could have done it in other ways. But they wanted to kill us,’ a survivor says

At 3.17am on Monday 8 July, Dr Yehia Moussa prepared to kneel outside the Republican Guards’ club in east Cairo for dawn prayers. For a few more short hours, Moussa would remain the official spokesman for the Egyptian health ministry. But he was outside the club that day in a personal capacity. Along with about 2,000 supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, Moussa had camped outside the gated compound in protest at the removal of ex-president Mohamed Morsi, who they then believed was imprisoned inside.

Like everyone else, Moussa knelt with his back to the barbed wire fence protecting the entrance to the club. A few feet away were Dr Reda Mohamedi, an education lecturer at al-Azhar University, and beyond him Dr Yasser Taha, an al-Azhar biochemistry professor. All three were friends from university days, and had shared a tent that night.

Russian opposition leader freed temporarily after protests

Alexei Navalny an anti-corruption campaigner, was convicted of organising a scheme to steal money from timber firm

Russia temporarily freed Alexei Navalny today, bending to the will of protesters who denounced the opposition leader’s five-year jail sentence as a crude attempt by president Vladimir Putin to silence him.

People took to the streets of Russia’s main cities in their thousands yesterday to vent their anger after a court in the city of Kirov convicted Navalny of what he says were trumped-up theft charges. More than 200 were detained.

In a move that could be designed to head off more unrest, the court accepted an unusual request by prosecutors to let Navalny out of detention to await the outcome of an appeal, but said his movement would be restricted.

Sam Rainsy’s return jolts Cambodian election to life, even if strongman Hun Sen expected to win

July 19, 2013 – 2:12 PM

Lindsay Murdoch

South-East Asia correspondent for Fairfax Media

Phnom Penh: Cambodia’s newly pardoned opposition leader Sam Rainsy returned from exile to a rapturous welcome in Phnom Penh on Friday, reinvigorating an election campaign that strongman prime minister Hun Sen was set to win in a landslide.

“I missed you all…let’s go forward together,” Mr Rainsy, 64, said as his ecstatic supporters pushed to greet him at the gates of the city’s airport.

Rainsy’s exclusion from the election would call into question the legitimacy of Cambodia’s democratic process 

Tens of thousands of supporters waving party flags lined the road for kilometres from the airport in a strong show of support for the French-educated former banker who fled the country almost four years ago to escape criminal charges he says were politically motivated.