TALK TO CHUCK – The 99% have a plethora of investment opportunities.
The concept of corporate personhood was created more than 100 years ago and ever since has been the bane of private citizens. At each challenge judges uphold and strengthen the concept. And the moves aren’t ancient history.
Can you say unlimited campaign financing?
The reputation of Congress, indeed of all politicians, is lower than whale shit at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. The Anti-Big Government types look at unrestricted capitalism as their savior. They’ve spent decades vilifying the words liberalism and socialism while talking up the advantages of a corporate personhood that will invariably do the right thing if only government got off their back.
If only we didn’t tax corporations and the wealthy, jobs would rain like fillet mignon-fed cats and dogs. Yet, the taxes are low, the rich continue to monopolize the economy, most of their money remains offshore, and the jobless are rapidly becoming the homeless.
We’re still waiting for the trickle down here, dammit.
The ‘Never Saw a Regulation I Liked Crowd’
Deregulate companies? They already thumb their noses at existing regulations and spend more than the GNP of Ecuador to protect extra-personhood. The response to the BP fiasco shouldn’t have been to remove regulations, it should have been to make sure BP followed the ones already in place. In the end, they were able to set the damages they would pay. Sorta like you negotiating the fine for a traffic violation…oh wait! You can’t do that. And the regulatory agencies, manned by former 1% wing tippers are in cahoots too, as one might expect when the fox guards your hen house.
Well, a funny thing happened on the airplane flight to the yacht…unrestricted capitalism isn’t so much in vogue these days. People are beginning to give it low marks in the Jon Huntsman range. The notion of, “What’s good for GM is good for the country” doesn’t mean quite as much as it used to. People are beginning to see that, more often than not, unrestricted American-style capitalism is just as warped, just as weak, and just as corrupt as any other type of burgeoning dictatorship.
Contrary to popular belief, St. Ronnie of Reagan didn’t say, “Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall and win one for the Gipper” and it fell straightaway. It didn’t fall under the bulldozer blades of an American offshore multinational, like Halliburton at all. It fell because the socialist/communist cabal kept trying to spend money to defend against paper threats like the unusable Star Wars program.
When the wall did fall, Americans spent a lot of time puffing their chests and lecturing the rest of the world on the wonders of capitalism. “Kill a commie for Christ and deregulate everything in sight” was the mantra. Instead, the beleaguered Russian peasants got more beleagerment (not unlike our 99 percenters), Mafia wars, and an oligarchy so virulent it makes our corporate personhood look positively benign.
The Romneilians, Newtonions, and just plan Fuckledupistanis aren’t unjustly accused victims of class warfare. They’re well armed enough – possibly with old Star Wars surplus – that the rest of us don’t have a chance. If I was a betting man, I’d lay a bet against myself right now.
Embarking on the Costa Concordia
The Party That Couldn’t Elect a Sane Candidate talks a good game about billionaire jealousy, but in doing so, they are missing the boat. At the end of the day, most regular Americans couldn’t care less how much the overclass makes. It cares where the fallout from it hits them – in the pocket. They are, after all, capitalists. Even if they have no real idea why.
If there is one thing as quintessentially American as capitalism it is the notion that we are a nation of freedom zealots with a keen eye toward fairness. We don’t like to see some asshat take home a gaggle of gold geese while we get to clean up the goose shit after he’s gone. It’s positively unAmerican.
If the overclass was smart – and not in that “I flew my company into a smoking hole” way – they’d be well advised to protect those who produce their wealth from the corporations that steal it. One day capitalism, like communism, socialism, and fascism will have lost its usefulness and appeal and there’s not much 1% of the population can do if the other 99% comes for them in the dark of night. Capitalism needs to be rescued from itself before it also collapses under its own weight.
If they aren’t smart – as would seem to be apparent from their lack or management skill and absence of morality – they will wake up one day and not see the face of Jesus on their toast, but a “NO” slash through a dollar sign.
Pass the butter Mr. Gorbachev.
Cross posted at The Omnipotent Poobah Speaks!