There may be more elegant ways to make an apple pan dowdy or any other kind of dowdy, but this three ingredient version was perfect for a quick fruit fix we had here, and used up a cake mix that we had let go for long enough and needed to use up.
1 can apple pie filling
1/2 box yellow or white cake mix
1 stick butter
Cool Whip (optional)
Pour apples into a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over apples. Melt butter; drizzle over top of dry cake mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Top with Cool Whip.
I used cherry pie filling that was just taking up space, then got another, inexpensive, light apple pie filling and made the next one. We didn’t like the idea of the Cool Whip, and left it out entirely. Ice cream, on the other hand, is just perfect.
I did find out that the butter and cake mix makes an ideal quick streusel for toppings, and will remember that for future quick fixes. A sour cream coffee cake with that crumb topping is a wonderful holiday treat, will use that again.
Here’s that sour cream coffee cake recipe, but I’ll be substituting the pan dowdy version;
Original recipe makes 1 – 9×13 inch cake
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Mix in 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Spread 1/2 of batter in the prepared pan.
- Prepare the filling: In a medium bowl mix 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and cinnamon. Sprinkle cake batter with 1/2 the filling. Spread second half of batter over the filling, and top with remaining filling.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.