The Senate and House votes to reopen the government and avoid Federal financial default gave us a hard look at the GOP’s “Die Hard !!” elected extremists. The Senate came in with 18 wack-jobs; the House showed up with 189 for the initial vote, then 144 for the final. These teabaggers share belief in rightie hoaxes that originated as far back as the John Birch Society in the 1950s. These are anti-socials who would rather see the United States of America default on its debt and go into recession than accept the results of the 2012 presidential and congressional elections.
Paul Ryan, the GOP’s vice presidential candidate from 2012, led the charge. He and the others support a “Tea Party” subset of the Republican Party. Thing is, they push Bircher paranoia for a dozen major issues; they report belief in propaganda themes that have little to no basis in fact. For example: ObamaCare is mainly a program for insurance reform. Every one of the coverage plans comes from a capitalist enterprise. But Ryan & Co. push a hoax claiming that this is “government takeover of health care.”
Yes, folks, the John Birch Society is alive and well, rebranded as the Tea Party. There’s also a public group using the JBS name that minimizes the open craziness; it’s out there for public relations purposes. The real Birchers are the billionaires and propagandists who have been around for decades and took over the nativist anti-Obama Tea Party in 2009.
The main result of this manipulation is that structured hoaxes dominate today’s GOP.
The hoaxes reflect Libertarian and Randian fantasies and Right Wing Nut Job paranoid delusions. Now they are played out in Washington by the self-described Tea Party office holders.
Consider the hoaxes as a collection. They generate disinformation and encourage actions that damage our Madisonian democracy.
Here is a selection of the GOP’s most antisocial hoaxes. Taken together they help to form a make-believe world.
The GOP Dystopia
– Economic problems are rooted in a Lower Class of 47%er welfare state layabouts
– Unions are criminal enterprises
– Government operations are intrinsically incompetent (lacking profit motive which is the only honest way to do things)
– Politicians are all crooks (especially Libruls, so voting doesn’t matter)
– Guns in homes are a sensible protection against home invasion (reflecting societal breakdown, alleged to occur 1,000,000+ times a year)
– Government is the problem (referring to what we call Madisonian constitutional democracy; denying international competition, the 1%er redistribution, and increasing automation)
– Global warming is an economy-killing leftist conspiracy
– Guns in homes are our ultimate protection from tyranny
– American Christians suffer rough and hurtful persecution
– Science cannot be trusted (typically in argument, because scientific results can change over time. The Bible is absolute.)
– The less government, the better; a.k.a., government-vs.-private-sector is a fixed sum game; a.k.a., taxes are theft
– Supporters of legal abortion are “Baby Killers”
– Media outlets (owned by multinational corporations) are biased to Left/Liberal positions
– Obama’s election victories in 2008 and 2012 were illegitimate
– Wealth redistribution to the top is what drives job creation
– Ronald Reagan maximized American influence world wide
– Democratic politicians are members of an out-of-touch elite; Democrats do not understand ordinary Americans
– The 2003-2009 mortgage debacle was caused by lying poor people (which ties in with the broader hoax that the Welfare State has produced a 47%er class of dependent losers)
– Corporations are people (which sounds funny until you consider “Undercover Boss” and the like)
– Everyone in the world should love America
– We’re # 1
– Vietnam and Iraq were examples of defending freedom and liberty and the American battlefield losses are all Americans care about
– America’s health care system is the best in the world
– American football is a great sport and uniquely important as a character builder
– Student debt is a normal part of education — nothing happening, move on
– Student debt and trashing support for Social Security — nothing there, move on
– Department of Defense is an essential and underfunded investment
– Patriot Act cancellation of Madison’s Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution is what keeps Al Qaeda from killing your family
– National Security Agency storage of “metadata” is not part of a vast invasion of private lives
– Financing for politics in America is wide open and we are the Gold Standard for free elections
– The War on Drugs goes back and forth with more victories than losses
– Prisons lower the rate of violent crime by incarcerating “superpredators”
Take a couple minutes researching any GOP hoax. The profession versions consist of three sets of elements: